Skip to main content

I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere (Tom Joad)

If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine - Obi Wan Kenobi

 

I'll be using the world genius a lot on The Purdzilla Show, and a few times in this post. For instance- George Lucas is a genius and this scene is a masterful one - it's not hard for me to project back to 1977 and the first time I saw it.

The power and the resonance remains.

The soundscape, the light sabers (genius creation), the now iconic Darth Vader costume, John Williams score, Alec Guinness' enigmatic delivery, the colour palette - that all helps but it's that line I love the most. 

The idea of sacrifice and the implicit warning to Darth Vader that he unwisely ignores, the idea that death results in us becoming a little piece of a big soul, the one big soul that belongs to everybody. 

That's what I love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He's the only Frank Zappa I knew (Captain Beefheart)

R.I.P. Peter Joyce

What connection can there have been between many people in the innumerable histories of this world, who, from opposite sides of great gulfs, have, nevertheless, been very curiously brought together! Charles Dickens (in Bleak House )

That's about right: a little, no more (Michel Houellebecq)

Photo by Rupert Britton on Unsplash When all's said and done, the idea of the uniqueness of the individual is nothing more than pompous absurdity. We remember our lives, Schopenhauer wrote somewhere, a little better than a novel we once read. Michel Houellebecq (in Platform )